Research Interests and ExperienceMy research interests and experience lie at the intersection of artificial intelligence (AI), human-computer interaction (HCI), and technology-enhanced learning (TEL). I design and implement technologies that provide transformative opportunities for learning and collaboration. In particular, I focus on:
- Design and evaluation of intelligent technologies that
- (a) provide direct feedback to learners and
- (b) increase users’ awareness of the processes involved in different types of learning, e.g. inquiry, problem solving and collaboration, across learning contexts such as schools, universities and informal settings;
- Exploring the way in which human-computer and computer-mediated interaction research can enhance learning situations and support collaboration;
- Developing and applying data mining and machine learning techniques as a means of analysing the usage and the effectiveness of interactive and intelligent learning environments and as a way of automatically deriving models of users and of interactions
Ongoing Projects (see also previous projects)
- EU FP7 Metafora. Jul 2010 - Jul 2013. R&D CSCL environment for 12 to 16-years-old students "learning to learn together" (L2L2) science and mathematics. The Metafora "platform" offers a visual language, which enables students to collaboratively design their plans and reflect on their L2L2 process, while allowing the system to intelligently follow-up their activities and produce useful feedback for them and information for their teachers. It also offers an argumentation space and various domain tools including the eXpresser microworld from the MiGen project. Learn more about the Metafora project.
- MiGen: an intelligent microworld (eXpresser) and teacher tools for with mathematical microworld to provide secondary education students experiences with mathematical generalisation. See migen.org for details and publications.
- As part of the work in MiGen Sergio Gutiérrez-Santos and I have started a series of workshops on Intelligent Support for Explorarotory Environments
- Contact me if you want to help with maintaining the MathQTI specification
- The LeActiveMath and WaLLiS project have come to an end. Kaska Porayska-Pomsta and I are employing machine learning techniques to the collected data to answer questions about effective tutoring.